Knowing the Limits of Self-Care

 “Self-care”. Similar to a ‘Glow Up", this is a term we have heard a lot in the last few years. It’s apparently a never-ending topic thread on social media such as Instagram and TikTok. People have Pinterest boards based solely on self-care. It seems to be a rapidly growing trend; watching the statistics for this topic is astounding. But where should we draw the line? When do we reach the point where we are borderline becoming increasingly self-absorbed?

Drawing the Line: It Needs to Be Done

Self-care is wonderful. I Just need to throw that out there. I’m hardcore vibing with the picture I chose for this post. Give me a mud mask, tea, chocolate, and a book, and I am an extremely happy person. Oh, and Epsom salt bath, the epitome of comfort.

But there has to be a point where it becomes excessive and selfish. Everything has (or should have) clear boundaries; boundaries are the lines that define our relatively small existence. Whether they be physical or mental boundaries, it is necessary to have limitations, despite what the world tells us today. Self-control is slowly going from a key staple to a thing on the backburner.

While caring for yourself is a “bear” necessity, (if you don’t get the reference, I’m not explaining lol), drawing a line happens when it becomes selfish. Caring for other people is important too. Now, I know the whole idea is something like “take some time to focus and care for yourself”. Perfect. I can agree with that. But what I can’t agree with is when it becomes a self-centered hobby.

It should be about inner reflection on oneself, not just the pleasant parts and the ‘pat on the back’ but the stuff you need to improve on, the things your bad at getting done, the things that make you waste valuable time. *Looking’ at you, Pinterest*.

Want a mud mask? Do a mud mask? Taking a bath? Take that bath. Need some time alone? Totally get it.

But when it becomes something that gets in the way of other people, and your more focused on “how much happier can I make myself,” then we’ve got a problem. I daresay it's an old-fashioned take, but I’ve always thought helping others was a sure way to achieve some small measure of happiness.

Take some time and think about this. It’s hard to acknowledge, I can own up to that myself. But we need to remember that while self-care is enjoyable and good for our wellbeing, we should treat it like fine wine or a box of Lindor chocolates: In moderation.

Comments

Popular Posts